A Painless, Non-Surgical Approach to Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer Treatment at Diablo Valley Oncology
What is skin eBx?
Skin electronic brachytherapy (eBx) is an innovative, patient-friendly option for non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) treatment. By delivering a precise dose of targeted radiation directly to the area, skin eBx offers suitable patients a non-surgical, scar-free solution while limiting exposure to surrounding healthy tissue. Skin eBx provides an effective and convenient option allowing patients to return to normal activities immediately with no downtime.
One in five people will develop skin cancer in their lifetime, with more than 5.4 million cases diagnosed annually in the U.S. The majority of cancers appear on sun-exposed areas such as the face, scalp, nose, ears, hands, arms and legs. If you have been diagnosed with NMSC, such as basal or squamous cell carcinoma, you may have concerns about scarring, wound healing or preserving functionality in anatomically challenging areas.
What are the benefits of skin eBx?
Skin eBx provides patients with a targeted, non-invasive alternative to surgery for NMSC treatment. While surgery is considered to be the standard of care for NMSC, for some patients, surgery is not an option or a preference. A completely non-invasive approach, no cutting, bleeding or stitching is required with skin eBx, offering reduced risk of complications compared to surgery. Skin eBx offers patients and physicians a safe and effective treatment option for NMSC with valuable benefits including:
- Excellent clinical and cosmetic results
- Ideal for challenging anatomic locations
- Precise targeting
- No lifestyle restrictions
- Quick treatment sessions
- No pain, anesthesia, cutting, bleeding or stitching
- No need for post-treatment reconstructive surgeries
- Patients who prefer an alternative to surgery
- Patients who are not surgical candidates due to medical comorbidities or other health issues such as diabetes, peripheral vascular disease or blood thinning medication
- Patients with higher-risk lesions, including features such as positive margins, requiring adjunct therapy to surgery
- Patients with busy schedules
eBx Treatment offers great cosmetic results as an alternative to surgery.
How does skin eBx work?
Skin eBx uses a miniaturized, high dose rate (HDR), low energy, isotope-free, x-ray source to deliver a precise radiation dose to your cancer lesion. This targeted treatment directs the radiation to the size and shape of the cancerous area, carefully destroying cancer cells and sparing surrounding healthy tissue.
From the market leader in skin electronic brachytherapy, skin eBx offers a safe and effective outpatient option delivering excellent clinical and cosmetic results. Treatment requires just a few brief visits to your doctor. An individualized treatment regimen and prescription including customized shielding will be recommended by your doctor based on your age, medical history, the type, size and location of your cancer, as well as other criteria.
Skin eBx is administered in just five simple steps:
1. A clinician will prepare the lesion with a flexible shield that is customized to fit around the target area and protect surrounding healthy tissues.
2. A small surface applicator is placed on the skin where the radiation is to be delivered.
3. The miniaturized x-ray source is placed in the applicator and energized to deliver radiation for a prescribed amount of time.
4. Radiation is delivered in just a few minutes. Minimal shielding requirements allow for treatment inside a standard exam room while medical personnel remain in the room.
5. When the treatment is complete, the x-ray source is turned off. All devices are removed and the patient is able to return to normal activities immediately.